1938

MOTORMEN DEPOTS OPENING, CLOSURE DATES AND 

THE VARIOUS A.S.L.E.& F. BRANCHES 

ASSOCIATED WITH THEM

PAINTING BY M.A. TURNER


With the electrification of the Brighton Division of the Southern Railway, being brought to a 
halt owing to the out break of the Seconds World War. The following Motorman’s depot were established to operated over the various routes that had been electrified. 
All of the Motorman’s vacancies would be filled by other Motormen who had  transferred to 
the new depot, redundant steam drivers or by “Dual link" drivers at the locomotive shed that 
the Motorman depot was grouped to. Some locomotive shed had more than one Motormen depots within its group. The exception to this was being Peckham Rye depot as these positions were filled mainly traffic grades or firemen from New Cross. 
The Brighton section had the most Motorman depots out of the three sections of the Southern Railway. Some of these depot were very small some having a handful of Motorman at the depot to start up and finish the service.
Below is a list of known Motorman depots, which includes when the depot opened, closed 
and the branch of ASLE&F associated with the depot. 
In 1961 the grade of Motorman was done away with and their depot become E.M.U.T. depots and many are still in existence. 



BRIGHTON RAILWAY MOTORMAN’S DEPOTS

1938


SOME OF THESE DEPOTS WOULD HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED PRIOR TO ELECTRIFICATION REACHING THEIR AREA


BECKINGHAM JUNCTION CENTRAL' MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in 3rd March 1929 on the as part of the third rail electrification extension of the 

suburban area.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

A South Eastern Motorman's depot opened on the 

Dual Link with Norwood ?

ASLE&F Branch Selhurst 12th January 1919

Closed in c1969 ?


BOGNOR MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in 1938 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the West coast.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Bognor

ASLE&F Branch Bognor 1920 ?

Closed in May 1995 and moved to Barnham


BRIGHTON MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in 1932 as part of the third rail  electrification extension of the Brighton main line.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Brighton

ASLE&F Branch Brighton 1932 - 1934, Brighton No.2 1934 - 1988 then Brighton 

Still open


COULSDON NORTH MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened on the 1st April 1925 as part of the overhead electrification extension of the Suburban area, third rail from the 22nd September 1929.
Worked overhead and third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains

Dual Link with Redhill ?

ASLE&F Branch Selhurst 12th January 1919

Closed in 1983


CRYSTAL PALACE (LOW LEVEL) MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened on 12th May 1911 as part of the overhead electrification extension of the Suburban 

area, third rail system in 17th June 1928.

Worked overhead and third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains

A South Eastern Motorman's (High Level) dep

Dual Link with Norwood

ASLE&F Branch Selhurst 12th January 1919 ?

Closed in 28th February 1972 


DORKING (CENTRAL) MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in 3rd March 1929 on the as part of the third rail electrification extension of the 

suburban area.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

A South Western Motorman's depot opened on the 10th July 1927

Dual Link with Horsham

ASLE&F Branch Dorking (Steam) pre 1911

Closed in 1988


EASTBOURNE MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in June 1935 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the East coast.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Eastbourne

ASLE&F Branch Eastbourne

Still opened


EFFINGHAM JUNCTION (CENTRAL) MOTORMANS DEPOT 

Opened in 3rd March 1929 on the as part of the third rail electrification extension of the 

Central Division suburban area. 

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Central Motorman’s Closed in June1967

Dual Link with Guildford ?

ASLE&F Branch Leatherhead 1947. 

Closed in June 1967

The South Western Motorman's depot opened on the 12th July 1925 and closed 1987?

Dual Link with Guildford ?


EPSOM MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened on the 3rd March 1929 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the 

Suburban area.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Norwood ?

ASLE&F Branch Epsom (pre 1916) later moving to Selhurst

Still open


EPSOM DOWNS MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened on the 17th June 1928 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the 

Suburban area.

Dual Link with Norwood ?

ASLE&F Branch Epsom (pre 1916?) later moving to Selhurst 

Closed in 1983?


FRATTON CENTRAL MOTORMANS DEPOT 

Opened in 1938 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the West coast.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Fratton

ASLE&F Branch Portsmouth/Fratton 

Lost Central Division work in the early 2000s ?


HORSHAM MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in July 1938 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the West coast.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Horsham

ASLE&F Branch Horsham 24th April 1898

Still open


LITTLEHAMPTON MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in 1937 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the West coast.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Bognor

ASLE&F Branch Littlehampton 4th May 1913

Closed in May 1995 and moved to Barnham


LONDON BRIDGE (CENTRAL) MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened on the 12th May 1911 as part of the overhead electrification extension of the 

Suburban area, third rail system in 17th June 1928.

Worked overhead and third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains

A South Eastern Motorman's depot opened on the 

Dual Link with New Cross /Bricklayers Arms?

ASLE&F Branch London Bridge 1911 or 1928 ??

Still open


ORE MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in June1935 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the East coast.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with St Leonards

ASLE&F Branch Ore 1st December1935

Closed on 2nd March 1986


PECKHAM RYE MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened on the 17th January 1909 as part of the overhead electrification, third rail system in 

17th June 1928.

Worked overhead and third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains

Dual Link with New Cross

ASLE&F Branch Peckham Rye 30th January 1912 closed/transferred to South Eastern Division

Closed in c1967


PORTSMOUTH TOWN (SOUTHSEA) CENTRAL MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in 1938 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the West coast.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Fratton

ASLE&F Branch Portsmouth No. 2 

Closed in 1976?? and moved to Fratton 

(Fratton Central in Fratton Carriage Shed (1976)


REIGATE MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in 1932 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the Brighton main line.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Redhill

ASLE&F Branch Redhill ?

Closed and moved to Redhill EMUT in 19?? Redhill EMUT closed in 1987 and 

amalgamated with Redhill M.T.


SEAFORD MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in the June 1935 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the East Coast

Dual Link with Newhaven

ASLE&F Branch Seaford on18th August 1935 - 1980 Eastbourne 1980 - 1992, 

Seaford re-opened 1992 - 1994

Closed in 13th February1994


SELHURST MOTORMANS DEPOT           

Opened on the 12th May 1911 as part of the overhead electrification extension of the 

Suburban area, third rail from c22nd September 1929.

Worked overhead and third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains

Dual Link with Norwood

ASLE&F Branch Selhurst 1920 ?

Still open


STREATHAM HILL MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in 1936 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the West coast routes.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Battersea Park Loco depot closed in c1934

Dual Link with Battersea/Stewarts Lane

ASLE&F Branch Battersea

Closed in c1993


THREE BRIDGES MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in the 1932 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the Brighton main 

line.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Three Bridges

ASLE&F Branch Three Bridges 1913

Still open


WALLINGTON MOTORMANS DEPOT       

Opened on the 1st April 1925 as part of the overhead electrification extension of the 

Suburban area, third rail from 22nd September 1929. 

Worked overhead and third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains

Dual Link with Norwood

ASLE&F Branch Selhurst c1920 ?

Closed in c1969


WEST CROYDON MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened on the 5th January 1930 ?? on the as part of the third rail electrification extension of 

the suburban area.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Norwood

ASLE&F Branch West Croydon 1920 ?

Closed in 1983


WEST WOTHING MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in May 1932 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the Brighton main 

line.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains. 

Dual Link with Brighton 
ASLE&F Branch Brighton until 1934 Brighton 1935 until 1989 the came part of the LittlehamptonClosed in 1995 and moved to Barnham

WIMBLEDON (CENTRAL) MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened on the 5th January 1930 ?? as part of the DC electrification extension/opening of the 

Wall of Death (5th January)  and the Sprat & Winkle line (6th July 1930) ?

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Norwood ?

ASLE&F Branch Wimbledon (Park) 1926 ?

Closed in c1969??


VICTORIA (CENTRAL) MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened on the 17th June 1928  as part of the third rail electrification extension of the 

Suburban area,

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.??

third rail from 22 September 1929??.

Dual Link with Battersea/Stewarts Lane

ASLE&F Branch Battersea No.2

Still open


The grade of motormen came under the Civil Mechanical & Electrical Engineering (C.M. & E.E.) and was a separate department from the Motive Power Depot. Once a steam driver transferred to the driving grade of Motorman, it became a one-way move and they would no longer be working on steam and later years diesel locomotives. 

The creation of all these new Motorman's depots being established before the off introduction of electrification within that location. These depots were established earlier than it is recorded above. 

With electrification being extending across the Brighton suburban area and the main lines to the coast, many enginemen had no choice but to opt for these positions or face being made redundant and moving away to other locomotive depots or leave the industry. Those who opted to become Motormen would be able to move back to any locomotive depot. however they could transfer from Motorman's depot to another. The enginemen would be required to learn Electrical Multiple Units and learn new driving techniques. The Electric Multiple Units would accelerate more quickly than speed and there travel faster over the same distance. 

Dual-link drivers were located at all steam depots and each steam depot was paired with a Motorman's depot(s). The purpose of the dual-link drivers was that they would later progress into Motorman grade at their linked depot. The dual-link drivers would work steam and electric turns and as the Motormen had no rostered spare coverage to cover leave and sickness, this work would be covered by the dual-link drivers from the steam depot.

A.S.L.E.& F. members transferring to the new Motormen depot would remain part of the existing locomotive branch and in some cases would such as Brighton, the Brighton Motorman wanted to have their own branch and they created Brighton No.2 branch.  

In the suburban area the larger new depots such as Selhurst were created and no branch of A.S.L.E & F. existed they would create their own branch, even though there may be a branch already in existence nearby.  Some of the smaller suburban depots would come under the mother branch such as Selhurst. Many of these branches were established within a few weeks/months of their depot opening. 

THESE DEPOTS MAY HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED  EARLIER THAN RECORDED 

THIS WAS TO ENABLE TRAINING OF STEAM MEN TO BECOME MOTORMEN

MANY OF THESE NEW DEPOTS OPENED THEIR OWN BRANCHES OF A.S.L.E.&F 

IF A BRANCH HAD NOT ALREADY BEEN EXISTED AND NEW BRANCHES SUCH AS SELHURST INCORPERATED MANY SMALLER MOTORMEN’S DEPOTS

PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN


SOUTH EASTERN MOTORMAN'S DEPOT

 IN 1938


PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN
Early working of a three car sub unit (No.1415) on Caterham branch 1928

Caterham and Tattenham Corner were originally operated by South Eastern Division and 
later become Central Division depots. With opening of these two depots, the Purley loco shed along with the sub sheds at Caterham and Tattenham Corner closed in March/June 1928. 
Purley loco on it’s closure had 27 locomotive allocated to the shed.

25th March 1928 - the electric railway service between London and Caterham and Tattenham Corner was inaugurated. Until Sunday 17th June that year when the full service was brought into operation, the majority of trains were adaptations of the final steam service

CATERHAM MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in 25th March 1928 as part of the electrification extension of the Suburban area.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Redhill ?

ASLE&F Branch Selhurst

Still open


TATTENHAM CORNER MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened in on 25th March 1928 as part of the electrification extension of the Suburban area.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Redhill ?

ASLE&F Branch Selhurst

Closed in 14th February 1994


LONDON BRIDGE (SOUTH EASTERN) MOTORMANS DEPOT

Opened on the 1925? as part of the South Eastern electrification extension of the 

Suburban area.

Worked d third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains

Dual Link with Bricklayers Arms?

ASLE&F Branch London Bridge 1911 or 1928 ??

Still open

Caterham, London Bridge (E) and Tattenham Corners were  from South Eastern Motormen depots, and their work would have been working up to London Bridge, Charing Cross and Cannon Street termini and then working over much of the suburban which included all routes to Dartford. Once leaving Caterham/Tattenham Corner at the beginning of their shift they would remain on the South Eastern division until their last trip working back to Caterham/Tattenham Corner from either London Bridge, Charing Cross or Cannon Street. 

In 1963 both Caterham and Tattenham Corner depots they become part of the Central Division, learning various Central suburban routes to Victoria and London Bridge Low Level. Their South Eastern knowledge would dwindle away with the exception of Charing Cross. 

Above is a list of Electrical Multiple Units that the motormen would have worked on 

the Brighton Section of the Southern Railway in 1938.

 

PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN

Make a free website with Yola