1849


OPENING OF THE EASTBOURNE BRANCH LINE

Branch lines from Polegate to Hailsham and Eastbourne opened on 
the 14th May 1849. 

Eastbourne (E) 1849, 

Eastbourne Locomotive Shed was opened on 14th May 1849 by the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway. The first locomotive shed was located at the North side of the station in the goods yard. The Locomotive shed was a two track straight dead-ended shed which also included a coke/coal stage.

In 1876 the shed was closed following the opening of a new brick built 8 stall semi-
roundhouse shed with a continuous transverse pitched slate roof located at the East end of 
Eastbourne station on the North side of the line. 
Facilities included a turntable and a coaling crane was later added.

In 1911 another new Locomotive shed was opened with 7 track straight through shed which 
was built from brick with a transverse pitched slate roof was constructed and located to the 
north of Eastbourne station on the west side of the line. The facilities included a 60ft 
turntable sited at the North end of the yard, a coal stage and a water tank. In 1912 the old 
roundhouse shed was demolished and removal of the old roundhouse turntable in 1935.
During the Second World War the Locomotive shed was badly damaged during a German air raid and was never repaired to its former to its former glory.

After 1952 the shed was mainly used to store redundant locomotives a waiting scrapping. The steam depot continued until 13th June1965 and was the last steam depot of the old 
L.B.S.C.R.,whereby it become a Mixed Traction depot and finally closed on 30th November 
1968

Railway accident on the 


L.B.S.C.R.



Croydon on 23rd May 1849


A branch line from New Cross to Deptford Wharf opened on the 2nd July 1849


WILLOW WALK GOODS DEPOT

Willow Walk goods depot which was adjacent to Bricklayers Arms opened in July 1849 and the facilities was enlarged in 1854

Make a free website with Yola