1909

 


Representations made by A.S.L.E.& F. to Board of Trade

on serious loading of trains beyond brake power.


 

ASLEF COLECTION

 Railway accident on the 


L.B.S.C.R.


Crowborough - Buxted 3rd January 1909 

Involving Brighton Driver S. Smith & Fireman Henry Gasson & 

Tunbridge Wells West Driver William Hartridge & Fireman H. 

Bonwick 


SEE SUB PAGE

LONDON BRIDGE TO VICTORIA

THE SOUTH LONDON LINE

The last steam service to operate on the South London line was on Tuesday the 30th November 1909 with introduction of the Elevated Electric System starting on the following day.

 PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN  

PECKHAM RYE 

ELEVATED ELECTRIC DEPOT

The first experimental electric train ran between Battersea Park and East Brixton on  Sunday 17th, January 1909. On Sunday night, 31st January 1909. a trial run was made between Battersea Park and East Brixton, to which the press was invited. It was then stated by the L.B.S.C.R. that the Battersea Park to Peckham Rye section would be opened “very shortly,” and that it was hoped to to established the full service throughout the South London Line by June. After several postponements of opening dates, the full service between London Bridge and Victoria was inaugurated on Wednesday 1st, December., with the first train leaving London Bridge for Victoria at 7.42 a.m., and a quarterly hourly service maintained throughout the day. Both of the two London termini had dedicated electrified platforms, with London Bridge having six platforms and Victoria having five platform. 

The basic service at 15 minute intervals was essentially the same as had been provided in steam days, but journey time was cut from 36 to 24 minutes. For marketing purposes the title of 'Elevated Electric' was adopted.

There was a need for a dedicated repair workshops and carriage sheds and this was erected in the V of  Peckham Rye  Junction, and it was here that the new electric trains were inspected, overhauled and the various maintenance requirements were carried out.  A motorman’s depot was also established within the this complex. The motormen only worked these new electric trains over the the South London Line and with the expansion of the electrocution their route knowledge would expand.

At first eight 3-car units were provided,. The end motor cars had bow collectors and had 
guard's accommodation and eight third class compartments. The trailer coach had nine first 
class compartments, the sets seating 132 third and 56 first class passengers. 

All vehicles had side gangways between compartments to improve passenger flow, and were considerably better appointed than most stock running on the Brighton main line at the time! The opportunity was taken to abolish second class, which disappeared from all suburban services in 1911 to be unsatisfactory. Already first class accommodation was excessive and overall there was excess capacity off-peak and overcrowding at peaks. The sets were re-formed into 2-car units (running in pairs at peaks).

The original motor coaches were retained coupled with driving trailers converted from bogie suburban steam stock and provided with six third and two first class compartments.The first class trailers were withdrawn and equipped for use on steam trains on the main line to Brighton, but in due course were converted again for the West Croydon and Wimbledon electrification.

See Sub page 1909 Pioneering Motormen for more details

 THE PIONEERING L.B.S.C.R. MOTORMEN

 

The Rates of pay for the original grade of Motorman was 25shillings per week compared 

to 39 shillings per week for Enginemen for this reason although Enginemen were given 

the option of becoming Motormen few took up the offer. Instead most Motormen were 

retrained Firemen or Guards who were already on a comparable rate of pay. 

Dates of the opening of Motorman’s Depots

Peckham Rye Motorman’s Depot                    17th January    1909

Selhurst Motorman’s Depot                             12th May         1911

Crystal Palace Motorman’s Depot                   12th May         1911

Wallington Motorman’s Depot                         1st April          1925 


For further Motorman’s depots see sub page 1938


 

Dates of initial Passenger Service AC operation 


London Bridge to Victoria 1st December 1909
(via Denmark Hill )    
London Bridge & Victoria to Crystal Palace 12th May 1911
(Via Streatham Hill/Tulse Hill including Tulse Hill - Streatham Hill and Crystal Palace 
Norwood Junction/Selhurst)     

London Bridge to Streatham Hill to Victoria services opened on the 1st June 1911
Victoria to Victoria (via Selhurst, Norwood and Crystal Palace)  services opened on the  
1st June 1911  
      

The Line between Streatham-Tulse Hill was AC electrified in 1913 but was never used in 
passenger service.            
Balham to East Croydon to Coulsdon North and the West Croydon to Sutton  1st April 
1925


 

 Dates of initial Passenger Service 


DC operation (4th rail system) 


East London Line Monday 31st March 1913

(New Cross (Gate) to Shoreditch) worked by the Metropolitan Railway. The Great 

Eastern Railway continued to operated a freight inter-change service to New Cross 

(Gate).

THREE BRIDGES LOCOMOTIVE SHED


The Forth Shed

The next and final shed was constructed in 1909, in open space upon an extension to the embankment carrying the Horsham lines using infill from the widening of the mainline. The new three road structure was built in brick with north-light pattern roof and tall adjacent water tank. A 60ft turntable was fitted in alongside the shed in the space between the Horsham lines, and the complex included large and small hoists, a corrugated iron machine shop with a curved roof, mess rooms and store offices, a pumping engine boiler house with its tall chimney, its fire also used for sand drying. Coal stages were provided on the north and south sides of the yard respectively, the latter improved with the addition of a canopy and crane. Over to the east was a spread of sidings known as ‘The Park’, accommodating empty coal wagons and the occasional stored locomotive. Accommodation was for around two dozen locomotives, overtaking its parent depot of Horsham and gaining separate independence status.

Up to World War 2, the allocation remained pure ‘Brighton’. It closed to steam in June 1964, Brighton taking over its remaining duties, but diesels locomotives continued to be stabled in the yard. The surviving buildings were used as a rolling stock, especially wagons, repair shops were demolished in the mid-1970s.

The workings from this shed have been described by Dick Kirby in |Vol. 15 no. 5. The shed was unique by virtue of its central position on the system, which led to its engines working regularly over most parts of the L.B.S.C.R.

 Railway accidents on the 


L.B.S.C.R.


 

PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN


East Croydon 10th July 1909


East Croydon 10th July 1909 

involving Eastbourne Driver Charles Elvey & Fireman Thomas Hyde 

SEE SUB PAGE





PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN



Brighton 4th August 1909 

Involving Brighton Driver Frederick Queen & Fireman Albert Pope 

SEE SUB PAGE


PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN 

Three Bridges station c1909 prior to quadrupling of the main line and the line down to the old Three Bridges Locomotive Shed.


THE EXPANSION OF PULLMAN TRAINS 

In 1909 the London Bridge portion had only two Pullman carriages and in 1923 this was 

reduced down to one carriage. By this time the Pullman had be extended to other parts of 

Sussex. In 1909 there were Pullman trains from Victoria to:-

Eastbourne had three in each direction two each way.

Worthing had two each way, one of which started and finished at Bognor. 

Arundel, Chichester and Crowborough had one each way.

There was also an Eastbourne edition of the ’Sunday Pullman Limited”. Between the years 

1911 and 1913 this train was worked by a Stroudley single driver engine No. 329, 

Stephenson, which was the last survivor of its class and did the journey in ninety minutes.

In 1914 four new Pullman carriages were built for the Eastbourne and Newhaven services. 

Altogether the L.B.S.C.R. had a total of forty four Pullmans cars trains running in July 1914.

 
PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN

THE STEPHENSON LOCOMOTIVE SOCIETY 

AT BATTERSEA SHED c1912 - 1914


The South London Elevated Line between London Bridge and 

Victoria was opened on Wednesday 1st December 1909

 CLAYTON TUNNEL


29th DECEMBER 1909


A incident involving Driver Thompson and his Fireman Cook, occurred on 29th 
December, 1909, when they were working the 11.40 a.m. Victoria - Brighton. In Clayton 
tunnel their engine came to a halt with a complete empty tender and only sufficient water in 
the boiler to cover the firebox crown. Authority was not pleased, and at the subsequent 
investigation it came to light that Fireman Cook had been suffering from a severe cold and on Battersea shed, Driver Thompson sent him to get a warm drink while he took water. For some reason this important happening slipped his mind, hence the trouble at Clayton and the 
receiving of a £3 fine.

Make a free website with Yola