1983

Extracted and adapted from

Tunbridge Wells Meeting

Sunday 20th March 1983 at 10.00 a.m.

at the Welfare Rooms Tunbridge Wells Central Station

FRED DIPLOCK LONG SERVICE

The President of our Executive Committee Bro. Derrick Fullick thanked all for asking him to attend this meeting, to carry out a presentation to Bro. Fred Diplock for being with union for 45 years. Before he handed the long service badge, the Chairman did mention that Bro. Fred Diplock had been active within the union on and off since before 1945 as that was the earliest that the Branch had. The President then presented Bro. Fred Diplock with his badge.

The Chairman then mentioned to Bro. F. Diplock that the Branch would also like to present him with a memento of this Branch and presented him with a pen set inscribed from A.S.L.E.F.

Then Bro. D. Fullick asked that the Secretary write to the Journal and give a branch report.

ONE MAN ONLY

The Chairman then moved that the floor now be given over to Bro. Derrick Fullick and asked him to give us an up to date report on the latest at Head Office that of the 6%,  plus One Man Operation.

Bro. D. Fullick then gave a very full report and what was going on between the union and the B.R.B., mention was made of the Tribunal Decisions 79 & 80, 80 being the 6% also mention was McCarthy had said that no one should get any rewards from flexible rosters until all depots. Bro. D. Fullick said this had pleased the unions as it stops L.D.C. excepting all sorts of things outside the Decision 77/78.

One thing mentioned which did please everyone was the 6% pay award was to be paid on Thursday 31st March including 25 weeks back pay, the remaining three weeks in April.

To get this the union had to agree with Decision 80. This was One Man Operation and the training of the men concerned and the rewards would be £6 + 6% per turn or part off. This was all that the unions had to agree too, thus they felt was better that B.R.B. first offer of £2.50 per day and no 6%.

The units, 455, are now being after training of the men concerned, brought into service and once the stock is available will spread. After some interesting points Bro. D. Fullick finished his report.

THE FEDERATION of PROFESSIONAL RAILWAY STAFF 

The F.P.R.S. was a unrecognised trade union that was founded in May 1983 by former members of the A.S.L.E.&F. & the N.U.R. who were worked during the 1982 Flexible Rostering strike  and also to the Closed Shop agreements. It aimed to secure recognition from B.R.B, but was unable to do so. Members of the union were involved in driving coal trains during the 1984/5 miners strike when other rail unions asked their members not to do so.

Membership still stood at 200 in 2004, but had fallen to only 33 in 2015, and it dissolved that year.

This organisation was referred to by other railway worker has 
Federation of Professional Railway Scabs 

PAUL EDWARDS COLLECTION

 Above

The head-board which was conveyed on a special speed run, between London Victoria - 

Brighton on 16th July. 


This event was to mark the 50th anniversary of electrification of the 

Brighton main line. 

The train was driven by Brighton Driver Norman Light



MARGARET LIGHT COLLECTION


Brighton Driver Norman Light 

meeting the V.I.P.s after his arrival at Brighton . 


THE SERPELL REPORT

 The slim down railway system according to “the 

Serpell" report of 1982/83



COULSDON NORTH 

MOTORMAN/E.M.U.T. DEPOT 

OPENED 1925 - 1983


On the 30th September 1983 saw the closure of Coulsdon North station and depot. Couldson North Motormen's depot was opened on the 1st April 1925 as part of the overhead electrification extension of the suburban area and on 22nd September 1929 become a third rail electric depot.

Originally there was a steam shed locate at Coulsdon which opened in 1900 and closed in June 1929.
The Coulsdon branch of A.S.L.E.& F.  was originally called the Purley & Stoats Nest and incorporated the members of Caterham and Tattenham Corner loco shed.The Coulsdon branch closed in c1929. 

D.J. HUBBARD COLLECTION
Coulsdon North Sidings

WEST CROYDON 

STEAM SHED 1839 - 1935

MOTORMAN/EMUT DEPOT 

OPENED IN 1925 - 1983


AS.L.E.&F. BRANCH

1908 - 1983

On the 30th September 1983 saw the closure of West Croydon E.M.U.T. depot.

West Croydon depot opened on the 1st April 1925 ? as part of the overhead electrification extension of the suburban area and in 1929? become a third rail electric depot


When Coulsdon North  and West Croydon E.M.U.T. depots closed, their work was moved to Selhurst with many of the  drivers  following their work until their redundancy moves allowed them to move to the depots of their choice when the vacancies become available across the country. This in turn left Selhurst E.M.U.T. depot  with a lot vacancies. Management did allow two men, one from each depot to take early retirement with around £10 to £12,000 which is not much when you see management leaving on £47,000. Train Crews were leaving on a shoe string.


 JOHN VAUGHN COLLECTION


A.S.L.E.& F. BRANCHES OPEN

ON THE SOUTHERN REGION

(BRIGHTON / CENTRAL DIVISION)

Battersea  & Longhedge 1887 (Brighton, South Eastern & South Western) Renamed 1891?
Battersea 1891 ?
Brighton 25th August 1891 Closed May 1934
New Cross c1891
Portsmouth November 1895 (Brighton & South Western) Closed 1938
Horsham 24th April 1898 (E.M.U.T.)
Purley & Coulsdon 21st March 1901 (Brighton & South Eastern) Closed cMay 1929
St. Leonards 25th February 1906 (transferred to South Eastern Division 1935?)
Tunbridge Wells 25th February 1906 (M.T.) Closed 4th August 1985
Eastbourne 25th February 1906 (EMUT)
West Croydon January1908 (steam) Closed cJune 1935
Peckham Rye 30th January 1912 (EMUT) (transferred to South Eastern) Closed 1967?
Newhaven 16th June 1912 (steam) Closed 30th September 1963
Littlehampton 4th May 1913 amalgamated c1929 - 1931
Three Bridges 17th May 1913 (EMUT)
Epsom opened some time before 1916 (steam) Closed ?
Dorking opened some time before 1916 (steam) Closed ?
Midhurst opened some time before 1916 (steam) Closed 1955?
Selhurst 12th January 1919 (Motormen)
Battersea No.1 c1920 (Steam) Brighton & South Eastern) amalgamated c1928?
Battersea No. 2 c1920 (Motormen)  (Brighton) amalgamated c1928?
Bognor 1920 ?  amalgamated 1929 - 1931
Redhill December 1895 (MT & EMUT?) (came part of the Brighton Section 1925?)
Battersea 1928? (M.T. & E.M.U.T) (Brighton & South Eastern)
London Bridge 1928 ? (1911 ?) (E.M.U.T.) (Brighton & South Eastern)
Bognor & Littlehampton c1929 - 1931
Bognor 1931 (Steam & EMUT) Closed May 1985
Littlehampton 1931 (Steam & E.M.UT.) Closed May 1985
Brighton No.1 May 1934 (M.T)  Closed 9th March 1988
Brighton No.2 May 1934 (E.M.U.T.) Closed 9th March 1988
Seaford 18th August 1935 (E.M.U.T)  Closed 1980 amalgamated with Eastbourne Branch
Ore 1st December 1935 (E.M.U.T.) Closed 2 March 1986
Norwood 1936 (M.T)
Portsmouth No.1 1938 (M.T.) (Brighton & South Western) c1969 amalgamated
Portsmouth No.2 1938 (E.M.UT.) (Brighton & South Western) c1969 amalgamated
Leatherhead 1947 (E.M.U.T.) (South Western & B'ton (Effingham C) Closed in June 1967
Battersea & Clapham Junction 1965
Portsmouth c1969 (MT & EMUT (South Western Central)

Make a free website with Yola