IGNITING THE FLAME OF UNITY


SUBURBAN MOTORMEN DEPOTS 

OPENING, CLOSURE DATES AND 

THE VARIOUS A.S.L.E.& F. BRANCHES 

ASSOCIATED WITH THEM

POSTCARD

BECKINGHAM JUNCTION CENTRAL' 


Opened in 3rd March 1929 on the as part of the third rail electrification extension of the 

suburban area.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.


The South Eastern Motorman's depot opened on the 1928?


Dual Link with Norwood ?

ASLE&F Branch Selhurst 12th January 1919

Closed in c1969 ?

COULSDON NORTH 

Opened on the 1st April 1925 as part of the overhead electrification extension of the Suburban area, third rail from the 22nd September 1929.
Worked overhead and third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains

Dual Link with Redhill ?

ASLE&F Branch Selhurst 12th January 1919

Closed in 1983

CRYSTAL PALACE (LOW LEVEL) 


Opened on 12th May 1911 as part of the overhead electrification extension of the Suburban 

area, third rail system in 17th June 1928.

Worked overhead and third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains


The South Eastern Motorman's depot opened on the ?


Dual Link with Norwood

ASLE&F Branch Selhurst 12th January 1919 ?

Closed in 28th February 1972 

DORKING NORTH (CENTRAL)


Opened in 3rd March 1929 on the as part of the third rail electrification extension of the 

suburban area.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.


A South Western Motorman's depot opened on the 10th July 1927


Dual Link with Horsham

ASLE&F Branch Dorking (Steam) pre 1911

Closed in 1988

EFFINGHAM JUNCTION (CENTRAL) 


Opened in 3rd March 1929 on the as part of the third rail electrification extension of the 

Central Division suburban area. 

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Central Motorman’s Closed in June1967


Dual Link with Guildford ?

ASLE&F Branch Leatherhead 1947. 

Closed in June 1967


The South Western Motorman's depot opened on the 12th July 1925 and closed 1987?

Dual Link with Guildford ?

EPSOM


Opened on the 3rd March 1929 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the 

Suburban area.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Norwood ?

ASLE&F Branch Epsom (pre 1916) later moving to Selhurst

Still open

EPSOM DOWNS


Opened on the 17th June 1928 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the 

Suburban area.

Dual Link with Norwood ?

ASLE&F Branch Epsom (pre 1916?) later moving to Selhurst 

Closed in 1983?

LONDON BRIDGE (CENTRAL)


Opened on the 12th May 1911 as part of the overhead electrification extension of the 

Suburban area, third rail system in 17th June 1928.

Worked overhead and third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains


A South Eastern Motorman's depot opened on the 


Dual Link with New Cross /Bricklayers Arms (C)

ASLE&F Branch London Bridge 1911 or 1928 ??

Still open

PECKHAM RYE

Opened on the 17th January 1909 as part of the overhead electrification, third rail system in 
17th June 1928.
Worked overhead and third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains
Dual Link with New Cross
ASLE&F Branch Peckham Rye 30th January 1912 closed/transferred to South Eastern Division
Closed in c1967

SELHURST   

Opened on the 12th May 1911 as part of the overhead electrification extension of the 
Suburban area, third rail from c22nd September 1929.
Worked overhead and third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains
Dual Link with Norwood
ASLE&F Branch Selhurst 12th January 1919
Still open


STREATHAM HILL


Opened in 1936 as part of the third rail electrification extension of the West coast routes.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Battersea Park Loco depot closed in c1934

Dual Link with Battersea/Stewarts Lane

ASLE&F Branch Battersea

Closed in c1993

WALLINGTON 


Opened on the 1st April 1925 as part of the overhead electrification extension of the 

Suburban area, third rail from 22nd September 1929. 

Worked overhead and third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains

Dual Link with Norwood

ASLE&F Branch Selhurst c1920 ?

Closed in c1969


WEST CROYDON 


Opened on the 27th August 1923  or 5th January 1930?? on the as part of the third rail electrification extension of the suburban area.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Norwood

ASLE&F Branch West Croydon 1920 ?

Closed in 1983

VICTORIA (CENTRAL)


Opened on the 17th June 1928  as part of the third rail electrification extension of the 

Suburban area,

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.??

third rail from 22 September 1929??.

Dual Link with Battersea/Stewarts Lane (C)

ASLE&F Branch Battersea No.2

Still open

THESE DEPOTS MAY HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED  EARLIER THAN RECORDED 

THIS WAS TO ENABLE TRAINING OF STEAM MEN TO BECOME MOTORMEN

MANY OF THESE NEW DEPOTS OPENED THEIR OWN BRANCHES OF A.S.L.E.&F 

IF A BRANCH HAD NOT ALREADY BEEN EXISTED AND NEW BRANCHES SUCH AS SELHURST INCORPERATED MANY SMALLER MOTORMEN’S DEPOTS

Make a free website with Yola