15th JANUARY 1963


On the 15th January, 1963, a collision occurred in No. 3 Up Siding at 11.47 p.m. when a Empty Coaching Stock was misrouted into a full siding.  




Smog and the extreme wintry spell played havoc with our December and January meetings, so that a good muster at the February meeting faced a heavy agenda and backlog of necessary business. Completing the Branch elections, we again have a well balanced team of senior Offices; Bros. H. Bagilhole and K. Lindsey as Chairman and Vice Chairman, D. Greenway and J. Whiley, Secretary and Assistant Secretary. Other pleasing appointments include younger potential in Bros. G. Allen, E.J. Barnes and D. Upton.

Don Pullen receives our best wishes as Irish Officer, a position we k now he will justify. His flair for organising will prove him a valuable assets to the Society’s Officers in these times of sweeping changes in the industry. Good Luck, Don!

L.D.C. report dealt with management obstruction to the settlement of necessary alterations to Charing Cross messroom, allocation of Sunday work, restricted cab view from badly positioned sun visors, limited parking facilities for staff at Charing Cross, and proposed safety measures at Cannon street, Home Signals.

A warning came from the Chair for members to make more efforts to avoid being in arrears, and a tribute to our Secretary and his helpers in further elimination of th few NONS in our midst in this area.

H. Bagilhole

Branch Chairman

30th JANUARY 1963


On the 30th January, 1963, a collision occurred at Peckham Rye station at 6.39 a.m., when the 6.18 a.m. London Bridge to Victoria service run into the rear of the 6.24 a.m. London Bridge to Horsham service.


The Newhaven Loco shed was closed on the 9th September 1963, by the British Railways. The Newhaven A.S.L.E.&F. Branch closed on the 30th September 1963


The Tunbridge Wells (West) Loco shed was closed on the 9th September 1963, by the British Railways as a result of dieselisation and a D.E.M.U. depot was established in its place.

Railway accident on British Railways

Southern Region 

Central Division

Kemptown 8th January 1963 

Involving Brighton Driver John Wood & Fireman John Myles 

*No report was made


8th JANUARY 1963




The scene at Kemp Town Good station on Tuesday 8th January 1963, when the 08:00 
Brighton (Top Yard) come out of Kemp Town tunnel and the wheels of the "E" class 0-6-0T 
No. 32468 started slipping on the icy rails. The engine finally come to stand on the station 
concourse. The train was worked by Brighton driver John Wood and his fireman John Myles.


The railwaymen featured in this photo are not known

As reported in The Evening Argus on the same day.

A 50 ton shunting engine ploughed into Kemp Town Goods Station demolishing buffers, part of the platform and the station office today. The engine, pulling loaded trucks weighing 
another 120 tons, skidded on ice covered lines as it approached the station.
The driver John Wood and his fireman John Myles, were taken to the Royal Sussex County 
Hospital for a check-up. The firemen were called to put out the engine's fire and reduce steam pressure in case of an explosion. Later they cleared the wreckage.

Two station staff had quickly escaped. Mr Albert Streeter, of St Peter's Street, Brighton, and 
Mr. William Speed, of Donald Hall Road, Brighton, left the office about two minutes before 
the crash. "I must have had a premonition or something" said Mr. Streeter. "We are normally 
in the office at that time, but this morning we decided to go and check over some goods 
trucks."Lorry driver Maurice Cole, of Lansdown Place, Hove, who was loading brick at the 
station, said: "I saw the wheels skidding and knew there had to be a crash. It cut into the
station like a bacon slicer. The noise was like a bomb going off."


* There is no Ministry of Transport report into this accident

Railway accident on British Railways

Southern Region 

Central Division

Drayton 8th February 1963 

Involving Bognor Driver E.J. Chivers & Driver L.E. Gibbs Depot 

unknown POSTED


 T.W.W. Engine Cleaners inside T.W.W. Loco Shed in March 1963.

Six months later it would be a different scene

 E4 0-6-2T 32479 was photographed at Newhaven as it returned to the shed on Saturday afternoon 13 April 1963.


APRIL 1963



Several members recently transferred to Electrical branches, but new entrants keep the branch at strength, with Political and Journal sales good. Rule 5, Clause 14 is still inadvertently forgotten” by quite a few; it is posted in our depot case just to refresh memories in the interest of those few. We think a “Closed Shop” is long overdue on our job, and this should be our motto 1963.

The L.D.C. have their plate full owing to continual alterations to engine workings, which makes social life nil. Revisions once each month now, plus the usual weekly alterations and daily tampering. “Birth control duties” increasingly; maybe this is why we are still short of 12 drivers. A joint approach by the Norwood L.D.C.s to higher officials and, unless matters are rectified, T.U. Head Offices can expect some fireworks! Essex House has some very competent officials. We say to them, “Get cracking on those who are taking us chaps for a ride.” Rosters are now just a mockery.

I retire from the B.R. in 12 months, so Norwood will want a Secretary. Any applications? Get cracking, chaps. Good luck to Bill Evans in the fight for the 40 hour week.



Brighton Fireman Mick Gillam at Steyning 1963


APRIL 1963



The New Year started with a marked improvement in our arrears, and we hope that things continue to improve in this respect.

Branch meetings have been fairly well attended; it seems that interest is growing, and this not before time, taking into consideration the vast amount of changes that are taking place amongst the Footplate grades.

A very pleasant evening was spent on 2 February, when the joint Social Section of Stewarts Lane and Victoria held a presentation at the Brunswick House Club to four retired members of Stewarts Lane Loco - Bros. W. Webb, A. Matters, S. King and W.C. Smith; unfortunately, Bros. King and Smith could not attend, due to indisposition. Bro. M.J. Renshaw made the presentation to those present. The final part of the presentation was to Bro. A. Bashford of Victoria; this was not an official act, but on behalf of his workmate Bro. Renshaw gave an envelope contains cash to Bro. Bashford. To all the retired members we wish a long and happy retirement.

The evening continued with dancing to the Thelma Hammond Band, and other entertainment was provided by Bro. Harris and His Boys. to all who helped to make this a pleasant evening, in spite of severe weather conditions, we extend thanks for their services.



T.W.W. Shed seeing the transition from steam to dieselisation 

MAY 1963 
Freight Services ceased at Selham and Fittleworth in May 1963.


MAY 1963



The first meeting of the year had the usual attendance. Interesting and lengthy discussion took place on several important circulars. On the circular dealing with redundancy and resettlement, the money given to the older man was considered inadequate.

The Agenda of Suggestions for the A.A.D. was discussed with a view to forming amendments. In the list of delegates it was noted that four groups did not at stage have a delegate; this was considered deplorable, and about time all groups elected their delegates.

A number of local items were discussed including the low number of Passed Fireman at the depot, and a resolution was formed to be replaced before the management insisting that men eligible be passed. Also discussed were a number of minor link alterations.

A general discussion took placed at the end on the submitting of proposals to improve duties and other items dealing with economy, and it was noted that replies are rarely received from the management.

The next two branch meeting are 9 and 16 May. 

Branch Chairman


Left - Right Brighton Pased Fireman Fred Maskell 

& Driver Robert “Todd” Slaughter

Extracted and adapted from

Tunbridge Wells  Branch Meeting

Sunday July 30th  1963 at 10.45 p.m.

at the Welfare Rooms, Central Station.

Correspondence was then read mainly regarding alteration and amendments to the present redundancy arrangements to the present redundancy arrangements that have brought about by the Beeching Report.

The Secretary Bro. B. Gower expressed his disgust at the Society for their apparent lack of interest in the threatened closures of lines and stations in our area no correspondence had been received from Head Office re Closures since 16th of April, this was shared by all members and it was decided that a resolution from this branch be sent to Head Office deploring their lack of action and interest.

It was also decided that a letter be written to Lord Storham, Chairman of the  Inland Transport Committee giving our views as to the methods of the B.T.C. in giving the public as poor as service as possible on lines due for closure.


Tunbridge Wells West 

TYPE 3 (Class 33) Diesel Locomotives replacing the Steam Locomotives 

The official last day for the end of steam allocation was 31st August 1963

Extracted and adapted from

Newhaven Branch Meeting

Sunday June 30th 1963

Closure Newhaven Loco 9th September 1963.

L.D.C. & Branch Secretary Reports: -

Correspondence to and from E.H. Channing, Secretary S.C. No.2.

The position of men who took priority was made clear to all present. Bro. T. Holder gave a report of a meeting at Essex House held on Friday 28th June 1963. S.C. No.2 Staff-Side present: - E.H. Channing Secretary, M. Kenshall, Bro. Perry Sec. elect. Members present from Newhaven Loco: - Bros. T. Holder, W. Folwell, and V. Morris & R. Turner. The subject matter was fully dealt with, to date the arrangements were

14 Drivers & W. Terrill to Brighton, 1 to Eastbourne. 6 Drivers not covered.

10 Firemen to Brighton. 4 Firemen not covered.

The following was agreed "That Secretary write to Bro. C. Dray asking if he objected to Bro. E.H. Channing visiting our Branch."

After the reply from Bro. Dray the Secretary write to Head Office requesting the attendance of Bro. E.H. Channing.

The Secretary ask for replies to the following questions. The wording was also agreed by the members present.

1. Where a driver has already a registration to Seaford E.M.U.T., will it be necessary for him to state his first preference Seaford E.M.U.T. on his redundancy paper?

2. Can you let this Branch know how the 14 Drivers, 1 Shed Engineman and 10 Fireman to be allocated to Brighton Loco was arrived at?

3. can you let us know where in the re-settlement arrangements the position is covered which allows the Management to determine that no Newhaven Driver will be entitled to this payment, bearing in mind the first train arrives at Brighton at 6.55 a.m. and the last train leaves Brighton at 11.33 p.m. Many of our Drivers use no private transport and do not wish to lodge at Brighton.

It was learnt at the Newhaven branch meeting on the Sunday 1st September Bro. R. Turner had decided not to go into Brighton, which meant all Newhaven Drivers would go into Brighton (1 to Eastbourne).

12th JULY 1963


On the 12th July, 1963, a collision occurred when the 7.30 a.m. shunt move, Run Away and collided with stop block at Balham Junction.

1st  AUGUST 1963


On the 1st August, 1963, the 10.25 p.m. Brighton to Victoria serviced derailed when arriving at platform 15 at Victoria.

28th AUGUST 1963


On the 28th August, 1963, at 3.59. a collision occurred on platforms 14/15, when the 4.5 p.m. Empty Coaching Stock from the sidings to Victoria station arrived early and passed the subsidiary signal at danger and derailed into the side oft 4.0 p.m. Victoria to Brighton service.



PAGE 162


Thanks and good wishes to Bill Evans on his retirement. We wish his successor the best of luck in his very difficult task, at a very difficult time. We know Albert Griffiths will not fail us.

It is quite obvious to us all that a Labour Government is the answer to most of our problems. The present Tory crowd have not got the guts to go to the country at the moment, because they know where they will go - out of office. They are showing a very bad white feather and the Labour Party is shaking them with honest facts, without the assistance of Profumo.

Bro. Charlie Newton has just retired, another good Trade Unionist lost to us. Bros. Cabell and Nivison have earned themselves the E.C. medallion for making new members; there is still chance for another to do this, we still have eleven Sons. They must be roped in, for the benefit of us all. We must have facilities in our depot which allow us to conduct ourselves as human beings; better washing facilities, lobbies and lighting, and a clean depot, is the answer. With 100% Trade Union membership we can still attain proper payment for our responsible job, and a pension on retirement equivalent to the salaried staff.




Horsham Driver Dick Ford (01.11.1048) 




Hardly a month goes by without there being some reference in a Branch report to the attendance at Branch meetings. What is the reason for non-attendance? Is it because, having paid their contributions, certain members think they have done all that is expected of them, and that can leave the rest to Branch Officers?

Or is it that they haven’t the sense to come along and take part in intelligent discussions concerning their future livelihood, wages, conditions of service, pensions, etc., etc.?

However, for the loyal ones who attended our June meeting there was a lengthy agenda to interest everyone. Our Secretary, Bro. S. Webb, gave a very real and interesting report on the 1963 A.A.D.

The Drivers who were deprived of a preference move due to the deletion of Clauses 22-26 on 1 July, 1961, were again the main topic for discussion. These Drivers, due to their seniority, were denied a 23b move prior to 1 July, 1961, and after that date, were again denied an 8b move to E.M.U.T.

It was unanimously agreed that the sooner this two year old anomaly was removed the better.

A. Waller
Branch Reporter

The last train to run on the West Quay, Newhaven

Saturday 10th August 1963 

hauled by a Terrier tank engine No.32678, 

Driver Maurice Smith and his Fireman Roger Stone.

The engine took water beside the Railway Hotel at 07:30 a.m.; the shunter unlocked the gate from the rail connection on to the bridge. Railwaymen stopped the traffic , one controlling the gate at each end (this was not done before the last war, the train only being protected as it crossed the road). The engine run light across the bridge, with the instructions to clear all wagons. First the large warehouse used as a rope works and tarpaulin factory; this had been closed on the 2nd August, and the consequent loss of rail traffic contributed to the decission to close the tramway. The first job was to shunt some empties back into the siding, and then pass them on the adjacent loop to fetch an empty box van and an empty bogie luggage van from the former oil siding (oil traffic had ceased four or five years earlier). Ther train ran past the Sheffield Hotel, where the chairs showed evidence of post war relaying, and then beyond the Hope Inn the track had concrete sleepers, the line having been relaid due to storm damage. In the breakwater siding, material for maintaince of the breakwater was kept under lock and key; this had been the main traffic on the line, shingle etc., not necessarilly from local sources. Here a self propelling crane and an open wagon containing a tank for its water supply were left to make their own way across the bridgea week later - a new diesel crane had been provided for breakwater maintenance. The engine returned with five wagons, and a member of the breakwater staff locked the gate behind it. The engine did not need to go back onto the breakwater, with its old tied tracks; in the past when it did so sometimes when the sea was rough the breaking water might go down the chinmey. The train eventually formed up by the sheet stores comprised eight open wagons, two covered wagons, and the bogie luggage van (the largest load the driver could remember in recent years had been 19 wagons). About 10:30, the single gates at each end of the bridge closed against road traffic, and Maurice Smith and his engine No. 32678 made the last slow journey across, turning by the Railway Hotel into the main sidings.

It was some sixty years since the first Terrier tank made this trip; the driver on this occassion recalled that No. 32678 had been "on station" since 3rd July, instead of the usual weekly change-over, due to the poor state of the boiler of No. 32649, which had been sharing the duty.

Extracted and adapted from 

the Newhaven & Seaford

 Branch book

R. Riley Collection

The last train on the West Quay Newhaven line Saturday 10th August 1963


 L - R: Harbour employee unknown, Fireman Roger Stone, Driver Maurice Smith (22.03.1916) & Shunter/Flagman  Bob Cobden,

(Bob was a Shunter at Newhaven from 1946 until 1963).

Maurice Smith returned to worked after recovering from T.B. and plusery, he was given the job driving the 'Terrier' tanks engine on the West Quay 'Pilot'. The West Quay 'Pilot Turn' included shunting the sidings on the West Quay and taking provisions to the light house keeper at the end of the Breakwater.

 Alan Bartlett Collection

Ernest Reeves, was known as Bert




Extracted and adapted from

Newhaven Branch Meeting

Sunday Sept. 8th 1963

The Chairman and Secretary welcomed Bros. R. Turner and E. King.

Regret was express that the Society Diploma had not arrived in time for Bro Ern King who had been Secretary for 15 1/2 years and Chairman for 10 1/2 years.

Bro. King suitably replied and thanked members for the taxi. Appreciation was expressed to Bro Reg Turner, having been active in the Branch, L.D.C. etc.

The Chairman assured all present the returns were in order and reminded members this Branch would continue until 30th September, 1963. It was agreed the members transferred to the Branch where the members would be after 30th September. The secretary thanked all who had paid in advance.


Travelling Allowance in Lieu of Lodging.

Letter from Organising Secretary dated 3rd September 1963. Members present express their opinions on. Bro. W.J. Cleaver it was noted no word was included relating to Redundant Drivers and Fireman and men who made accepted Resettlement Payment. Members had not forgotten the last meeting to this Branch by Bro. W.J. Cleaver.

Correspondence on Closure of Newhaven Loco

The Chairman, Bro. Morris explained that the meeting held on Monday 2nd September 1963, present were Newhaven and Brighton L.D.C.'s and Sectional Council Chairman and Secretary, Bros. F. Saunders and E.H. Channing. Arising from this meeting a notice was posted at Newhaven Loco dated 5/9/63. 

Moved by Bro. D. Renville and seconded by Bro. J.Nash

'That having heard the report of our Representatives and having examined closely notice posted 5/9/63. This Newhaven Branch support members claiming the use of the Railway taxi after booking on duty at Newhaven on Monday 9/9/63.'

All the correspondence relating to the P.T.&R.A.the Newhaven Closure file was placed before the members. It was further agreed that another meeting be held before 30th September if necessary. A number of members expressed the opinion they would like to telephone the Secretary with their personal problems, this was agreed.

Moved by Bro. V. Harris and seconded by Bro G. Hilton

'That if an extra meeting be held, Bro. Channing be invited.' Carried.

Newhaven Branch Fund

The cost for the taxi for Bro.King was 10/-. Moved by Bro. V. Harris and seconded by Bro. C. Evans. 'That any balance after deductions of taxi for Bro. E. King, be taken by Bro. S. Cheal, Secretary, to offset loss on Locomotive Journals.

Any Other Business.

A great surprise for the Secretary, Bro. W. Terrill had collected from the Newhaven members, and Bro. E. King former Branch Secretary and Chairman presented to Bro. S. Cheal a table lamp in the form of a Lighthouse and capstan, the capstan acting as a table cigarette lighter, and for Mrs Cheal a decorative china dressing table make up mirror.

Bro. King paid very kind remarks to Bro. Cheal for the work he had done for Newhaven members.

In reply, Bro. Cheal was lost for words, he had never seen a table lamp like this and one he would treasure it all his life as a reminder of the members of Newhaven Loco. Bro. Cheal also thanked the members on behalf of Mrs Cheal who had done so much to assist him.

The Chairman reminded member of the time and regretted that time would not allow for refreshments which had been planned. In wishing all members the best of luck in the future at other depots or in outside industry he closed the meeting at 1.10 p.m.

 Robin Baldock Collection

Three Bridges Driver Robin Baldock at Steyning 1963
The little boy standing next to the loco on the platform is Brian Baldock (no relation to Robin), he went under the name of Bazil Brush, and finished up at Tonbridge.

Eastbourne Fireman John Mould 

John later become a driver at Ore and Eastbourne depots




On  Saturday 24 August, nine of our members were given a grand farewell at Retirement Presentation at the Railway Rifle Club, Portsmouth. The recipients all of whom retired during the past year, were members of Portsmouth (1) and (2) Branches.

They were Bros. H. Laws, C. Davey, G. Wickerson, E. Golding, S. Few, F. Lewington, J. Leeson and H. Palmer. Bro. C. Neal unfortunately was unable to attend, but his railway service added to that of the other retired members made a grand total of 440 years’ Footplate service; surely a record equalled by few outside industries.

Mr. S. Downes, District Motive Power Officer, made the presentation to our members and their wives before a large gathering, which included a large number of retired members. Bro. Percy Hocking (ex-E.C. Member) of Eastleigh made a further presentation of a copy of The Lighted Flame to Bro. G. Wickerson for his past service in the sphere of branch and L.D.C. work. 

Thanks were given to our wide-awake young Presentation Committee for the wonderful send-off.

I know that many members will be glad to hear that our previous Branch Secretary, Bro Jack Elston, is in fine fettle after three years of retirement, and never misses a branch meeting. Surely this is something for the NONS and CABIN LAWYERS to think over!

A. Waller 

Branch Reporter


The Havant to Hayling Island branch line closed on the evening of Saturday 2nd November, 1963

The last service on this day was worked by Fratton Driver George McAskill and his fireman Dave Pallett





 Brighton Driver Vic Fewtrell (05.10.1914) & Fireman Joe Pannett






With the remorselessness of Judge Jeffrey’s “Bloody Assize” the branch lines are being
marked down and it is sad to hear that the Horsham - Brighton branch is among them. it runs 
through the heart of West Sussex, through meadows and the Downs, to join the Brighton - Portsmouth line by the river at Shoreham, where, as at Brighton it connects with the whole South Coast and at Horsham with Waterloo, London Bridge and Victoria. 

There are 17 trains each way on week-days and 11 on Sundays. most trains make 11stops and the timing is just about an hour. This does not sound like a direct line which is past revival. 

For 102 years it has served a useful purpose. When I first knew it, the little L.B. & S.C.tanks 
of the D1 type did much of the work, and later the 0-6-2 class E4. After the Southern Railway came into being the Drummond M7 type took over and were seen till the last few years, when the B.R. “80” type came, Tank engines have been predominant on the line from the beginning. I was travelling on this line lately and food that a number of ex-L.M.S. 2-6-2 type tanks of Ivan’s design of 1946 were at work there. They have 5ft. 7 drivers, 161/2 by 24 
cylinders, 200lb. steam pressure, taper boilers, Walschaerts gear and P.V., with T.E. of 
18,510lb. and seem well liked. The trains are light, three bogies, and keep excellent time. 
Two of our Horsham members, Bros. Hills and Tanner worked my train to Shoreham with 
41312, and two of our Brighton members, Bros. Colley and Pannett, brought me back with 
41327. In all my travels this years this is only the second time when I  have been steam-
hauled, more’s the pity! To close lines without proper and equally convenient other transport 
is to treat railways like multiple stores - pay or close. Instead of trowing passengers and 
freight on to roads which, the experts forecast, will be trying to carry 13 million vehicles by 
1970, sanity surely calls for the Labour Party’s proposal to consider road and rail policy 
together. The Tories, the Big Businessmen’s party, might ask themselves which is worse, the 
deficit lost on the national necessity of railway transport or millions gone down the drain in 
“deterrents” that won’t function and are quietly scrapped like Blue Streak. But, as John 
Bright said once, “The Tories are always a stupid party"

 Newhaven Driver Bill Terrill                 

William Charles Terrill entered the footplate grade 

at Newhaven on the 23rd January, 1920. 

18th NOVEMBER 1963


On the 18th November, 1963, the 12.55 p.m. Littlehampton departed platform 4 and derailed on the catch points.




PAGE 236

This will be the last Branch Report, as on 9 September Newhaven Loco was closed and all staff made redundant. Those who are trying to adjust themselves to their new surroundings wish those who  have left the railway every success.

When it was first learned we would close, the branch decided to work to a system which proved to very satisfactory, so with the assistance of the Society pamphlet issued May, 1963, to all members on promotion, transfer, redundancy and resettlement arrangements, the branch was turned into a type of Improvement Class. Every assistance was given by Bro. E.H. Channing, Southern Sectional Council Secretary, who answered all queries in writing. 

Why Newhaven Loco. had to close is still a mystery, with the Newhaven – Dieppe Car Ferry Service opening in 1964 and the increasing popularity of the Victoria  - Newhaven Boat Train Service. The representatives were told a £4,000 saving would be made each year, but the management would not state how the figure was arrived at.

So much could be said, but may I conclude by thanking Newhaven redundant drivers and firemen for the wonderful presentation made to my wife and myself. It was a pleasure to serve you.

Stafford Cheal,

Branch Secretary

3rd DECEMBER 1963


On the 3rd December, 1963, at 10.30 a.m. four car Electric Multiple Unit (2x 2 cars) Ran Way from the West Sidings and heavily collided with the buffer stops.




Hardly a month goes by without there being some reference in a Branch report to the attendance at Branch meetings. What is the reason for non-attendance? Is it because, having paid their contributions, certain members think they have done all that is expected of them, and that can leave the rest to Branch Officers?

Or is it that they haven’t the sense to come along and take part in intelligent discussions concerning their future livelihood, wages, conditions of service, pensions, etc., etc.?

However, for the loyal ones who attended our June meeting there was a lengthy agenda to interest everyone. Our Secretary, Bro. S. Webb, gave a very real and interesting report on the 1963 A.A.D.

The Drivers who were deprived of a preference move due to the deletion of Clauses 22-26 on 1 July, 1961, were again the main topic for discussion. These Drivers, due to their seniority, were denied a 23b move prior to 1 July, 1961, and after that date, were again denied an 8b move to E.M.U.T.

It was unanimously agreed that the sooner this two year old anomaly was removed the better.

A. Waller
Branch Reporter

8th DECEMBER 1963


On the 8th December, 1963, the 1.15 p.m. London Bridge to Victoria collided with the buffer stops on Platform 6 at Victoria.

Railway accident on British Railways

Southern Region 

Central Division

Burgess Hill 27th December 1963


Standard Tank 80151 running Light Engine returning back to Three Bridges Loco 

approaching Compasses Crossing 

Make a free website with Yola