THE ENGINE DRIVERS & FIREMEN’S UNITED SOCIETY

Founded 1865

The Engine Drivers & Firemen’s United Society was formed at New Cross in September 1865. 

By the end of 1866 the Society had 60 Branches, including over ten thousand members in England and Branches opening during 1867 in Scotland. By the end of March 1867 had some 64 branches in England and Scotland, with 15,000. 

Known branches on the L.B.S.C.R. were established at the three main engine sheds at Battersea, New Cross & Brighton 


AMALGAMATED SOCIETY OF RAILWAY SERVANT 

Founded 1871

1913 amalgamated to become the National Union of Railwaymen

In 1872 branches of the A.S.R.S. were formed on the L.B.S.C.R., these branches included Enginemen and railwaymen from all the various railway grades within the L.B.S.C.R.

BATTERSEA


Date of first members being recorded on the 01st February 1872

Members from both L.B.S.C.R. & L.C.D.R. companies

BRIGHTON

Date of first members being recorded on the 07th July 1872

BRIGHTON No.1


Date of first members being recorded on the 12th January 1872

BRIGHTON No.2

Date of first members being recorded on the 20th March 1877

CROYDON

Date of first members being recorded on the 31st May 1872

EASTBOURNE


Date of first members being recorded on the 30th December 1883

NEW CROSS

Date of first members being recorded on the 01st January 1872

NEWHAVEN


Date of first members being recorded on the 26th March 1882

PORTSMOUTH


Date of first members being recorded on the 08th November 1873 

Members from both L.B.S.C.R. & L.S.W.R. companies 

THREE BRIDGES


Date of first members being recorded on the 21st February 1877

TUNBRIDGE WELLS


Date of first members being recorded on the 25th February 1877

ASSOCIATED SOCIETY OF LOCOMOTIVE
ENGINEERS & FIREMEN
Founded 1880

The history of the various A.S.L.E.&F. branches from 1887 on the L.B.S.C.R., 
the Brighton Section of Southern Railway & the Central Division of British Railways 

BARNHAM BRANCH

Opened May 1995 (E.M.U.T)

Created by the amalgamation of Bognor & Littlehampton branches

BATTERSEA BRANCHES

BATTERSEA  & LONGHEDGE BRANCH

Opened 1887 (Brighton, South Eastern & South Western (Nine Elms) Renamed 1891?

BATTERSEA BRANCH 

Opened 1891 ? 

BATTERSEA No.1 BRANCH

Opened c1920 (Steam) Brighton & South Eastern) amalgamated c1928?

BATTERSEA No. 2 BRANCH

Opened c1920 (Motormen)  (Brighton) amalgamated c1928?

BATTERSEA BRANCH 

Opened 1928? (M.T. & E.M.U.T) (Brighton & South Eastern)

BATTERSEA & CLAPHAM JUNCTION 

Renamed c1965? closed c1967?

BATTERSEA BRANCH

Renamed c1967?

BOGNOR BRANCH

Opened 1920 ?  (STEAM) 

amalgamated 1929 - 1931

BOGNOR BRANCH 

Reopened 1931 (STEAM (& MOTORMEN 1938) 

Closed May 1995

BOGNOR & LITTLEHAMPTON BRANCH

Opened c1929 - 1931 (STEAM) 

closed c1931 and re-opened has two independent branches, Bognor Branch & Littlehampton Branch

BRIGHTON BRANCHES

BRIGHTON BRANCH

Opened 25th August 1891 (STEAM) 

Closed May 1934

BRIGHTON No.1 BRANCH

Opened May 1934 (STEAM/ M.T.1964)  

Closed 9th March 1988

BRIGHTON No.2 BRANCH 

Opened May 1934 (MOTORMEN/E.M.U.T.) 

incorporating West Worthing May 1932 - August 1989, transferred to Littlehampton Branch

Closed 9th March 1988

Brighton 

Opened 9th March 1988 (M.T.)

DORKING BRANCH

Opened some time before the autumn of 1915 (STEAM) Dorking branch features on the 1916 

ASLE&F calendar

Closed in ? and moved to Horsham Branch


EASTBOURNE BRANCH

Opened 25th February 1906 

(STEAM/MIXED TRACTION 1965 -68 (& MOTORMEN/E.M.U.T. 1935)

EPSOM BRANCH

Opened some time before the autumn of 1915 (STEAM) Dorking branch features on the 1916 

ASLE&F calendar

Closed and moved to Selhurst Branch in?

HORSHAM BRANCH 

Opened 24th April 1898 

STEAM/MIXED TRACTION 1964 (& MOTORMEN/E.M.U.T. 1938)

LEATHERHEAD BRANCH

Opened 1947 (MOTORMEN) 

Leatherhead branch (South Western Divisionincorporated Motormen of Effingham Junction 

(South Western & Brighton/Central Division) 

Closed in June 1967

LITTLEHAMPTON BRANCH

Opened sometime after a open meeting at Littlhampton on the 4th May 1913 (STEAM) 

Horsham ASLEF branch reported October 1911 (branch meeting September 12th 1911)

Closed c1929 

LITTLEHAMPTON BRANCH

Reopened 1931 (STEAM (& MOTORMEN/E.M.U.T. 1938) 

Closed May 1985

LONDON BRIDGE

Opened 1928 ? (1911 ?) 

MOTORMEN/E.M.U.T.) (Brighton & South Eastern)

MIDHURST BRANCH

Opened some time before 1911 (STEAM) 

Midhurst ASLE&F members are mentioned in the Horsham ASLE&F branch reported October 1911 (open branch meeting September 12th 1911) also on the 1916 ASLE&F calendar

Closed 1955


NEW CROSS BRANCH 

Opened c1891 (STEAM)

Closed ?

Reopened 21st June 2012 as New Cross Gate Branch (London Overground)

NEWHAVEN BRANCH 

Opened 16th June 1912 (STEAM) 

Closed 30th September 1963

NORWOOD BRANCH 

Opened 1936 amalgamating of West Croydon and members of New Cross (Gate)

(STEAM (& MIXED TRACTION 1964)

ORE BRANCH

1st December 1935 (MOTORMEN/E.M.U.T.) 

Closed 2 March 1986

PECKHAM RYE BRANCH

Opened 30th January 1912 MOTORMEN) 

Transferred to South Eastern in ?

 Closed 1967?

PORTSMOUTH BRANCHES

PORTSMOUTH BRANCH

Opened 1885 (STEAM) (LBSCR & LSWR) 

Closed 1938

PORTSMOUTH No.1 BRANCH

Opened 1938 (STEAM/M.T.) (Brighton & South Western) 

Closed c1969  

PORTSMOUTH No.2 BRANCH 

Opened 1938 (MOTORMEN/E.M.UT.) (Brighton & South Western) 

Closed  c1969

PORTSMOUTH BRANCH 

Opened c1969 (MT & EMUT (South Western & Central) 

Transferred to South Western Division ?

PURLEY & STOAT'S NEST BRANCH

Opened 21st March 1901 (STEAM) Brighton & South Eastern) 

Purley, Caterham, Tattenham Corner & Stoat's Nest (Coulsdon) loco sheds

Closed cMay 1929 ?

REDHILL BRANCH 

Came part of the Brighton Section 1925?)

Opened December 1895 

(MT (& REIGATE MOTORMEN/EMUT 1932?

SEAFORD BRANCH

Opened 18th August 1935 (MOTORMEN/E.M.U.T)  

Closed 1980 and amalgamated with Eastbourne Branch

SEAFORD BRANCH

Reopened 5th July 1992 (E.M.U.T.) 

Closed 13th February 1994

SELHURST BRANCH

Opened 12th January 1919 (MOTORMEN/E.M.U.T.)

Incorporating  many smaller MOTORMEN & E.M.U.T. depots

(Epsom, Wallington, Crystal Palace, West Croydon, Caterham, Tottenham Corner etc )

St. LEONARDS BRANCH 

Opened 25th February 1906 (STEAM)

(transferred to South Eastern Division 1935?)

THREE BRIDGES BRANCH 

Opened 17th May 1913 

(STEAM,MIXED TRACTION 1964 (& MOTORMEN/E.M.U.T. 1932)

Three Bridges ASLEF were part of the Tunbridge Wells Branch until May 1913

TUNBRIDGE WELLS BRANCH 

Opened 25th February 1906 (STEAM & D.E.M.U) 

Closed 4th August 1985

WEST CROYDON BRANCH 

Opened January1908 (STEAM & MOTORMEN) 

Closed 1983

Make a free website with Yola