1864

SEAFORD MUSEUM COLLECTION

Seaford Station opens March1864

Station 8th Feb 1876 copy46377

Seaford station looking towards the turntable & town

GETTING THE POINT ACROSS

 

The maker’s of locomotives always used best quality materials and often substituted more 
expensive items than those required by John Chester Craven, Locomotive Superintendent for the L.B. & S.C.R. Generally this was to the Company’s advantage, although in the case of the footplate floor boards on the Standard Craven Passenger Locomotives 2-4-0’s, this was definitely not so, for pitch pine replaced oak planking. This was beautifully grained, and as long as it remained dry greatly improved the appearance of the footplate, but a drop of water turned the flooring into a skating rink. Craven discovered this when travelling on loco No. 187 from Croydon to Brighton with the 4 p.m. express in c1864.

Near Horley track repairs necessitated the up line being used for several hundred yards and 
when the driver entered the loop at 25 to 30 M.P.H. the whole party slid across the footplate 
to end up in an untidy pile of arms and legs, the floorboards having been well swept and 
watered in honour of Craven’s presence. Scrambling hurriedly to their feet, all forgot that the loop has two ends and as the engine it the second crossover the jerk sent them again flying across the footplate. Craven broke his collar bone and the fireman his wrist, which left the driver to keep the train running to Brighton. First-hand knowledge is a wonderful thing, and within ten days all of the class had oak planking, which, if less decorative, gave firm footing come rain or shine.

 

* Depot of loco-men not known

Bognor (Bog) 1864-1962

Bognor locomotive shed was opened on the 1st June 1864 by the London, Brighton & South 
Coast Railway.  The first locomotive shed was located at the North end of the station on the 
east side of the line. The locomotive shed was a timber built two track straight dead-ended 
shed which also included a turntable across the access line.

In 1903 the shed was closed and demolished and was replaced by a brick built 2 track 
straight through shed with a transverse pitched style slate roof and was located nearby. The 
facilities included a 55ft turntable sited at the north end, a coal stage and a water tank. The 
shed was closed in 1953 but the facilities continued in use as a servicing area. The shed and 
the steam locomotive depot closed in November 1962, the Shed was demolished in the same 
year.

Make a free website with Yola