1853

Lewes 1853-1870

Lewes locomotive shed was opened in 1853 by the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway.  

The shed was located on the East side of the station.  The shed was a brick built 2 track straight dead-ended shed with a gable style slate roof and the facilities included a 35ft turntable and a water tank both sited on the opposite side on the line in the fork of the Brighton and Wivesfield lines. The locomotive shed closed in 1870 and was converted in to a goods shed which was demolished in 1889 due the enlargement of the station.

Railway accidents on the 


L.B.S.C.R.


from http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk




PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN 


Engraving on a commemorative snuff box, 

made from the brass dome of locomotive No. 10 'Mars'


Brighton on 17th March 1853 

driver John Young & firemen John Elliott depot unknown 

SEE SUB PAGE


New Cross on 13th April 1853 

no mention of Enginemen 

SEE SUB PAGE 


Forest Hill on 16th August 1853 

no mention of Enginemen 

SEE SUB PAGE


New Cross on 27th August 1853

Involving Drivers Joseph Boardman & William Barkwright depots 

unknown     





PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN 

Landslip at Balcombe  



Balcombe Landslip on 20th October 1853 

no mention of Enginemen 

SEE SUB PAGE


Make a free website with Yola