1921


National lock-out of coal miners, causing widespread unemployment 

amongst Enginemen.

Passage of Railway Act, creating four main line railway groups.

Head Office moved to 9, Arkwright Road Hampstead London.



With the passing of the Railways Act of 1921, this would seeing the L.B.&S.C.R. becoming 

part of the Southern Railway on the 1st January 1923.

With the passing of the Railways Act of 1921, this would seeing the L.B.&S.C.R. becoming 
part of the Southern Railway on the 1st January 1923  The Southern Railway was made up of three other railway companies 
The London and South Western Railway (L.&S.W.R.).
The South Eastern and Chatham Railway (S.E.&C.R.)
The South Eastern Railway and The London, Chatham and Dover Railway (L.C.&D.R.) had 
a working and was known as the S.E.&C.R.in 1899.

These companies together with several small independently operated railways (which 
included the Selsey Railway) formed the new Southern Railway.

The Southern Railway also partly owned several joint lines which included the East London 
Line and the West London Extension Joint Railway

 LOCOMOTIVE JOURNAL

1921

TUNBRIDGE WELLS BRANCH

It is often  that matters affecting this Branch are reported in the Journal, but we feel that we ought to make a special note of two Open Meetings held on Sunday, April 24th, when Mr. Barton Wild, our Organising Secretary, paid us a welcome visit. We also expected Bro. J. Cordrey, E. C. member, but unfortunately he was not able to be with us. Bro. Wild very ably addressed the morning meeting for over an hour "The Past, Present, and Future of the A.S.L.E. & F." At the evening meeting Bro. Wild dealt with the methods Organisation, and took us back several hundred years, when workers at that time were enjoying the eight hours day, and had about a month holiday per year. Those who attended the meeting were very interested in Bro. Wild's address. We take this opportunity of thanking all our visitors who took the trouble to come to our meetings

BRANCH SECRETARY

 

Railway accidents on the 


L.B.S.C.R.


Haywards Heath 5th September 1921

Patcham - Clayton Tunnel 5th September 1921

 ELECTRIFICATION FOR THE FUTURE

In October 1921 the L.B.S.C.R announced that it hoped to open the Balham to West Croydon via Norbury section during 1922; to complete the 1913 suburban programme, with some additions.The opening to West Croydon was not achieved, partly because of the delays with the supply of electrical equipment. During 1922 the company placed new contracts for the West Croydon to Wallington and the Selhurst to Coulsdon (North) lines.

The Company also announced their plan to electrify the Brighton main line. This was to include the following lines:- Brighton and Worthing, Wivelsfield to Eastbourne and Brighton to Seaford.

Make a free website with Yola