1880


The formation of 

the Scottish Society of Railway Servants &

 the United Pointsmen and Signalmen's Society


The Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen


Established 1880



PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN 

 Terrier Tank No.76 ' Hailsham' was originally allocated to Hailsham shed 

and transferred to Eastbourne shed in 1880


On the 1st April 1880 the Hailsham to Heathfield line was opened.

The Hailsham Loco shed was closed in 1880, by the L.B.S.C.R.

NEWHAVEN HARBOUR 

COMPANY'S LOCOMOTIVES


 
PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN 


Owing to difficulties the Newhaven Harbour had to be controlled by an independent company, which worked in close co-operation with the L.B.S.C.R. Known as the Newhaven Harbour Company, this concern employed horses on the quays for some years before turning to steam power. The first indication of this was on 6th July, 1880 when the Minute Book records £300 being made available for purchasing a suitable tank locomotive. 

Apparently one was not found, for on 5th April, 1881 Stroudley suggested raising the price to £550 and offered to inspect a second hand engine advertised for sale by the Huslett Engine Company. The was accepted and on 3rd May, 1881 a saddle tank engine named ‘Wave’ was at work hauling sand from the beach to Denton Cement Works. A similar engine named ‘Bradford’ said to be ten years old and in good order, was inspected on 2nd May, 1882 and purchased together with a steam crane and patent grab, on 20th June at an auction in Manchester for £742. Both engines were repainted in standard Stroudley livery with their names inscribed across the tank sides. At weekends they were washed out and given minor repairs at Newhaven shed, while heavier attention was given by Brighton works. 

In July 1888 their regular crews were passed by L.B.S.C.R. inspectors for working between the Harbour and the Town stations, thereby avoiding the necessity of providing pilot-men on journeys from the beach to the West Breakwater. In addition the senior driver was also passed for occasional journeys in daylight hours from Newhaven Town to Seaford or Lewes. Two carriages were borrowed in March, 1889 and purchased for £42 in February, 1892 on Billinton’s request because they were not fitted with the Westinghouse brake and he wished to inform the Board of Trade that all the company’s coaching stock was so fitted.




With no signalling on the quay lines, apart from that applying to the Brighton Company’s track it is not surprising that minor incidents occurred from time to time. For instance ‘Wave’ ran into and killed one of the shunting horses on the night of 11th February, 1883, while in the following year on 6th May ‘Bradford’ collided with several loaded coal wagons and pushed two of them into the harbour. Of greater consequence was the accident on the evening of 23rd March, 1888 when Wave’s crew lost control of a heavy train of stone blocks and crashed at speed into some empty wagons, which in ran into Bradford. No one was injured, both crews having jumped clear in time, but the Harbour company’s complete stock of locomotives was out of commission, and ‘Terriers’ engines Nos. 69 ‘Peckham’ and 79 ‘Minories’ had to be borrowed until repairs could be completed. Bradford was quickly dealt with on the spot by fitters sent out from Brighton shed and was back at work in four days, but Wave had to be towed away to Brighton Works and returned to traffic on 27th May, 1888, on the 7th December 1892 was sold for scrap. Bradford was again damaged by runaway wagons on 25th April, 1892 and was sent to Brighton for repairs and returned back to Newhaven on 28th July and was laid up in February, 1898. Terrier engine no. 69 acted as a temporary replacement, while negotiations were made for the purchase of Terrier engine No.72 ‘Fenchurch’ on 27th June 1898. Over the following months various Terriers were hired for varying periods, but once work ceased on the sea defences in February 1902, Fenchurch proved sufficient.

Railway accident on the 


L.B.S.C.R.


Ford Junction 24th September 1880


Make a free website with Yola