IGNITING THE FLAME OF UNITY


SOUTH EASTERN MOTORMEN DEPOTS 

ON THE BRIGHTON SECTION

OPENING AND CLOSURE DATES, ALONG WITH THE 

VARIOUS A.S.L.E.& F. BRANCHES ASSOCIATED WITH THEM

Caterham and Tattenham Corner were originally operated by South Eastern Division and 
later become Central Division depots in 1963?. With opening of these two depots, the Purley loco shed along with the sub sheds at Caterham and Tattenham Corner closed in March/June 1928. 
Purley loco on it’s closure had 27 locomotive allocated to the shed.

25th March 1928 - the electric railway service between London and Caterham and Tattenham Corner was inaugurated. Until Sunday 17th June that year when the full service was brought into operation, the majority of trains were adaptations of the final steam services.

* These depots may have opened slightly earlier to cater for training Enginemen to become Motormen

CATERHAM


Opened in 25th March 1928 as part of the electrification extension of the Suburban area.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Redhill ?

ASLE&F Branch Selhurst

Still open

TATTENHAM CORNER


Opened in on 25th March 1928 as part of the electrification extension of the Suburban area.

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with Redhill ?

ASLE&F Branch Selhurst

Closed in 14th February 1994


PHOTOGRAPHER UNKNOWN
Early working of a three car sub unit (No.1415) on Caterham branch 1928

LONDON BRIDGE (SOUTH EASTERN)


Opened on the 1925? as part of the South Eastern electrification extension of the 

Suburban area.

Worked d third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains

Dual Link with Bricklayers Arms?

ASLE&F Branch London Bridge 1911 or 1928 ??

Still open.

WIMBLEDON CENTRAL

 (SOUTH EASTERN)

information to be added


Opened on the 3rd March 1929 as part of the DC electrification between Wimbledon and Holburn Viaduct

The depot was located on the Central side of Wimbledon, and the motormen worked to Holburn Viaduct, and various other South Eastern route. 

Central Suburban motormen would work trains from London Bridge and Victoria to Holburn Viaduct as far as Wimbledon where they would be relieved to by Wimbledon “C” or other Southeastern motormen. 

With the closure of Wimbledon  “C” in the early 1970s, these service would be worked through by Central Division depots 

Worked third rail Electric Multiple Units Trains.

Dual Link with ?

ASLE&F Branch Wimbledon (Park) 1926 ?

Closed early 1970s

Caterham, London Bridge (E), Tattenham Corner and Wimbledon C were South Eastern Motormen depots and their vacancies filled by South Eastern Enginemen. Caterham, London Bridge (E), and Tattenham Corner work would have been working up to London Bridge, Charing Cross and Cannon Street termini, and then working over much of the suburban which included all routes to Dartford. Once leaving Caterham/Tattenham Corner at the beginning of their shift they would remain on the South Eastern division until their last trip working back to Caterham/Tattenham Corner from either London Bridge, Charing Cross or Cannon Street. 

In 1963 both Caterham and Tattenham Corner depots would become part of the Central Division, and learning various Central Division suburban routes to Victoria and London Bridge Low Level. Their South Eastern knowledge would slowly dwindle away with the exception of Charing Cross. 

Wimbledon C” motormen would work to Holburn Viaduct and other South Eastern routes,  

THESE DEPOTS MAY HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED  EARLIER THAN RECORDED 

THIS WAS TO ENABLE TRAINING OF STEAM MEN TO BECOME MOTORMEN

MANY OF THESE NEW DEPOTS OPENED THEIR OWN BRANCHES OF A.S.L.E.&F 

IF A BRANCH HAD NOT ALREADY BEEN EXISTED AND NEW BRANCHES SUCH AS SELHURST INCORPERATED MANY SMALLER MOTORMEN’S DEPOTS

Make a free website with Yola