White Paper issued on Government’s proposals of railways. 

Supervisors first admitted to membership of A.S.L.E.& F.




Battersea Branch splits to form two separate branches

Battersea No.1 Branch of A.S.L.E.&F. 

Remained open to represent the Enginemen on the Brighton & South Eastern Railway Companies

Battersea No. 2 Branch of A.S.L.E. & F. 

Was opened to represent only the Motormen grade on the Brighton railway Company

In 1920 the L.B.S.C.R. announced a further expansion of electrification of their suburban 

routes and electrifying the main line from London down to Brighton line.


Littlehampton Driver Fred Prince is seen leaning against his loco, fireman not known 

Fred Prince started in the locomotive department at New Cross at the age of 16, in September 1897 (no day of the month recorded).
Fred was enginemen at the following loco sheds New Cross, Bognor & Littlehampton


Newspaper article by Basil O. Evershed c1987

It was on an autumns afternoon in the late 1960s when looking for the old house in Warningcamp where my parent had lived when first married in 1896, that I met Fred Fred Prince.

He was then living in retirement with his widower brother-in-law at Ivy Cottage which was adjacent to my parents early home.

The River Arun and the railway both ran just behind these two houses and it was at the level crossing keeper's cottage at Warningcamp that Fred was born in June, 1882.

His father and grandfather had both worked on the railway and helped to construct the coastal and mid-Sussex lines of what was then the London, Brighton, and South Coast Railway.
Fred's mother also was the gatekeeper at Warningcamp level crossing for many years and, when Fred left school at 14, it was his firm intention to become a locomotive engineer.

However, he was too young to taken on, and the first two years of his working life were spent impatiently at an Arundel Brewery.

Then in 1898 he joined the L.B.S.C. Railway at its main engine depot at New Cross. Soon he was posted to Bognor and then to Littlehampton. Towards the end of the Boer War (11th October 1899 - 31st May 1902) he was *driving goods trains nightly from Littlehampton to London via Brighton. He described these journeys, often made on freezing winter nights more than 85 years ago, in one of his many interesting letters to me written during the last two years of his long life.

"We had one duty at Littlehampton 11 p.m. at night to Brighton, after two hours' shunting at Ford. After leaving Brighton the worst part of the journey was tender first from Lovers' Walk, Brighton, three miles through Clayton Tunnel, with water dripping from the roof and frozen like long poles. It was very dangerous and we had to cover our heads up, because when we smashed these icicles it was like a shower of broken glass... But it was a different tale in the springtime. We were booked to leave Hassocks at 3 a.m. and with the first streaks of dawn the birds started up, before it was light; a treat many people have never heard. And now they tell me Hassocks yards and sidings are no more."

Fred loved the railways and deeply regretted that so many of his dear branch lines had been closed down. But, more that the railways perhaps, he loved nature and the unspoilt countryside, the birds and the wild flowers. I quote from another of his letters:

"I have travelled  thousands of miles through Sussex and Surrey during my career; I have seen the sun shining on lovely Box Hill on a frosty morning, and the beautiful Midhurst line (now closed also). But to me Arundel and its surroundings is still the fairest of them all. Running down the old Midhurst Line in the spring and watching the trees coming into leaf; the horse chesnut trees, those big leaves and blossom all out of a small bud, is really a wonderful.... I wonder what the motorists see of the lovely countryside as they race along? All kinds of wild flowers grow on the railway banks, and strawberries as well, and I suppose, just now between Amberley and Pulborough, the banks are white with daisies, pretty to see."

Fred Prince never married and in retirement lived with his sister and her husband at Warningcamp. When at Littlehampton he knew all the fishermen and often went out on the old paddle tug boat Jumna.

Sadly, his sister and brother-in-law both died, and Fred had to have a leg amputated. The last six or seven years of his long life were spent in Arundel's homely little hospital where he found time and encouragement to write many interesting reminiscences.

In one of his last letters to me, he wrote lovingly of his old home and the lane beside the railway and river at Warningcamp:

"I guess, over the old home, the snowdrops are coming up and will soon be in bloom. My place used to be white with them, also primroses and all spring flowers. I would love to be back again with the flowers and the birds, up in the morning to see the first streaks of daylight and hear the dawn chorus..... but never no more. So in God's care I leave you. With love Fred."

So ended his last letter to me in January, 1975. A few weeks later he passed away, to be buried at the ancient church of Lyminster, where he once sang as a choirboy and had bee christened 92 years before. 

* Fred would have been a Fireman and not a driver in 1902 as stated in this article


31st January 1920

Battersea No.1 engine driver T.W. King old age 31st January 1920, aged 61. Joined the Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants, on the 26th February 1886


9th February 1920

Horsham engine driver W. Bardin old age 9th February 1920 aged 24. Joined the Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants, on the 17th June 1877


1st March 1920

Portsmouth engine driver W. Reed old age 1st March 1920, aged 61. Joined the Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants, on the 17th June 1887

Bognor Branch opens some time in the 1920s  


Heathfield 19th April 1920 

Involving Driver Wheatley & Driver Gusell, Firemen & Depots 

unknown SEE SUB PAGE


West Croydon Enginemen at West Croydon 17th June 1920

Saturday 31 July 1920, crowds wait at Victoria Station for trains to the Sussex coast, which was a bank holiday weekend

Railway accidents on the 



Littlehampton 4th August 1920 

Littlehampton Driver Edwards & Fireman Chapman 




Top Link driver Fred Christmas and fireman Ray/Reg Moore early 1920s

Fred Christmas started in February 1883 and retired as a Running Loco Foreman at Brighton 

Horsham Loco Dept 1920 

This photo features all the Horsham Shed staff  as well as Horsham Loco crews.

The Shed Master is seen in middle of the front row wearing a bowler hat.

With reference to the above branch report in the 1919 Locomotive Journal, it would appear that all the footplatemen seen in this photo were members of A.S.L.E.F. with the exception of three N.U.R. members.


Eastbourne Enginemen Walter Coombes standing next to engine

the other Engineman is unknown

Make a free website with Yola